Music Major & Fine Arts Participation Awards
Jamestown College is proud to offer music scholarships to students who demonstrate musical ability. We offer a Music Major scholarship (up to $6500/year) and a Music Participation scholarship (up to $2500/year). We invite you to participate by completing the Music Scholarship application (see link below). When we have received your application, your admissions counselor will be in contact with you.
Theatre and Art participation awards are also available, please contact your admissions counselor if you are interested in these participation awards.
Music Audition Requirements
Music Major Auditions
- A performance component, consisting of two contrasting selections from standard classical literature, in your primary performance area. Please contact us if you have any questions regarding suitable literature.
- A brief evaluation session including elements of music theory, music history, aural skills, and sight reading.
- Please also provide a letter of reference from your music teacher and a brief resumé of your interests and experiences in music.
Choral Ensemble Participation Auditions
- Vocalize up and down the scale to demonstrate range.
- Sing a short familiar tune (i.e., My Country ‘Tis of Thee) to demonstrate vocal tone and technique.
- Repeat four melodic patterns to demonstrate tonal memory.
- (For Soprano only) Sing a one-note crescendo and decrescendo on high F-sharp A-flat for tone characteristics and vibrato control.
Instrumental Ensemble Participation Auditions
- Tune to a concert A or B-flat.
- Play a one-note crescendo and decrescendo on a concert A or B-flat for tone characteristics and intonation tendencies.
- Play a full-range chromatic scale as high as possible, and as low as possible, to demonstrate range and technique.
- Repeat four-beat rhythmic studies on each note of a major scale (comprised of eighths, dotted eights, triplets, and/or sixteenths).
- Play articulation studies on major scales, one octave up and down (e.g. slur 2, tongue/spiccato 2).