Science Symposium featuring alumni presentations Oct. 14
Jamestown College will celebrate the success of its graduates in the fields of science and mathematics at the College’s fourth All-Science and Math Symposium on Friday, Oct. 14 in conjunction with Homecoming 2011 activities.
Several Jamestown College alumni will make presentations throughout the day beginning at 9 a.m., and Dr. Kerstin Leuther, a 1988 graduate of Jamestown College, will deliver the keynote address at 5 p.m.
The public is invited to attend the Symposium. All events will take place in the Reiland Fine Arts Center.
Dr. Leuther is Executive Director of Alliance and Project Management for the biopharmaceutical company Affymax, Inc., Palo Alto, Calif. She will speak on drug development, including the complexities, regulations, role of the FDA, and costs of research and development.
Dr. Leuther will also share details on her team’s current work, providing an exciting example of the process of developing a new drug and what opportunities drug development holds for scientists.
Other alumni presenters and their topics include:
- Gina Bakker, Distribution of Minor Histocompatibility Antigens (mHags) in African Americans and Their Importance in Transplant Matching
- Joe Bennett, Nano-Scale Characterization of Microelectronic Materials and Devices
- Darci Block, Laboratory Medicine
- Shawn DeKeyser, Wetland Restoration with Invasive Species
- Mark Ereth, The Bloody Business of Transfusion (via Skype from Mayo)
- Lisa Holding Eagle, Chemistry in the Oil Patch
- Jennifer Inlow, Structural predictions for the enzyme Tyrosinase
- Andrew Klose, Collinear Laser Spectroscopy at the National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory
- Keith Marek, Solution Chemistry of Metal Oxides
- Lindsey Meyers, Wetland Assessment and Ecosystem Services in North Dakota
- Eric Schmid, Ionic Liquid - Polymer Gel Electrolytes for Dye Sensitized Solar Cells
- Teresa Urlacher, Near Infrared Detection of Proteins
- Mel Wahl, An Operator with Mathematical and Artistic Implications
Jamestown College Homecoming activities continue throughout the weekend. For a schedule of events, visit http://alumni.jc.edu.